In this video, This Old House landscape contractor Roger Cook gives tips for picking the perfect Christmas tree.
1. When selecting a Christmas tree, look for nice conical shape, uniform deep-green color, and stiff branches that can support heavy ornaments.
2. After cutting, shake the tree to remove debris.
3. Pull just-cut tree through a baler; the tight-fitting plastic netting will protect the branches during transport.
4. Once home, use handsaw to cut 1 or 2 inches from base of tree.
5. Trim off some of the lower limbs using a handsaw or lopper.
6. Put base on tree, then use rubber mallet to tap the base’s spike into the tree.
7. Carry tree into the house with the base attached.
8. Stand up tree, cut away netting, then adjust the base screws until tree is perfectly straight.
9. Fill base with cold tap water.